Saturday, August 11, 2007

We Are Sonic Death Monkey

  • After an extended delay I finally completely rearranged my DVD shelves. This has been my goal for the summer and I dragged it out as long as possible. It currently fits my entire collection (with one exception) while looking perfectly neat and organized. It became a game of Tetris for awhile as I tried to fit all the different sizes of cases in a way that would look aesthetically pleasing. It's not entirely in alphabetical order but I did try to keep the anime and live action films on separate shelves. My ultimate goal is to organize my collection in autobiographical order as a tribute to High Fidelity. Still it looks pretty good as is. Alas it will all be ruined once I buy a single new DVD. Technically it's already ruined. That one exception I mentioned? That blasted Simpsons season six in the Homer shaped packaging. I removed it rather then let it besmirch the sanctity of my display. A temporary solution if there ever was one.

  • Cars, a movie that I surprisingly ended up loving, is being released as a two disc special edition Blu-Ray. This is significant because the standard definition DVD was merely a single disc release. The studios are starting to release substantial material exclusively for hi-def. Also coming in both hi-def formats is the five disc Blade Runner set I discussed in my last post, but with the option of buying only the five versions of the film without the large attach case and all the extra pack-ins. The format war is finally starting to affect me and I don't even have a HDTV yet.

  • The new season of Robot Chicken starts on Sunday night. I suggest you watch it. Soudwave, everyone's favorite anachronistic Decepticon, shows up. Also Governor Schwarzenegger attempts to deport Speedy Gonzales and Dora the Explora. Man something awful better happen to Diego. He's such a tool.

  • How awesome is this? Genndy Tartakovsky, the creator of Dexter's Laboratory and Samurai Jack, is now adding the role of comics book creator to his accomplished résumé. His first work will be a four issue miniseries to be titled CAGE! It's Genndy's take on funky 70s blaxploitation superhero Luke Cage. What a perfect match. I'm getting a definite Action Hank vibe from this artwork.

No comments: