Thursday, January 31, 2008
The good thing about saving the haul pics for the end of the month is that it requires less effort on my part. The bad thing is it makes me realize just how much stuff I've recently purchased. I already posted the anime DVDs in the last post so here's the rest of my haulage. A neat aspect about having a blog is I geek out about certain figures and then you can see that I end up getting them later on. This time it's Padme in her black dress from Attack of the Clones. Finally my nerd lust is satiated. One figure that has nothing to do with nerd lust is Lady Deathstrike, which I only bought because it was two dollars and I'm trying to complete Onslaught.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
It's a turbulent time in the world of Region 1 anime DVDs. Geneon evaporated with little warning. Now there seems to be quite a bit of warning that ADV is in trouble. Faced with these unfortunate circumstances I've resolved to myself that I should focus on buying certain DVDs while they are still widely available. There is a lot of stuff I held off from buying for a long time. For whatever reason I kept passing on series I knew I wanted but I just always decided to just wait for another day. Well now it seems I shouldn't wait any longer. It isn't going to be easy as I have to make some hard choices. I can't have it all so I have to be happy with what I do get. I am quite happy with my most recent purchases. As I mentioned last time I finally got around to truly completing Gundam Wing, the first anime series I started to collect on DVD. In fact the first volume was only the third DVD I ever bought. After I had the entire TV series I dawdled on picking up the final piece of the series, the OAV slash movie Endless Waltz. I also picked up the Serial Experiments Lain boxset. However I still plan on hanging on to my VHS recordings from when the series aired on Tech TV. I'm as nostalgic for the network as I am the series.
Friday, January 25, 2008
- The pics in the last post were taken of a mural at a McDonalds I went to a long while back. Several months later I've decided to share the whimsy of McDonaldland with the word wide web. Sorry for the heavy glare on Mac Tonight.
- After lord knows how many years I finally bought Endless Waltz thus completing the Gundam Wing saga. The DVD includes both the OAV and movie versions and I watched the movie as it was the version I had never seen before. There are a few added scenes and a different ending but what really stuck me was the new song. It sucks away all the energy at a crucial moment. That's what happens when you try to replace White Reflection.
- Kara Thrace is an alcoholic and so is her merchandise.
- I had a craving for Wienerschnitzel the other day. I didn't go but I did take a look at their website and it turns out there are three different locations all about two miles away from house. The one I'm most familiar with is almost four miles away.
- I ended up finding the Hunter S. Thompson Tech Deck Dude at, of all places, Walgreens. While tempted, I didn't buy it. They also had a Hellboy inspired Dude who avoided copyright issues by being yellow instead of red. He even came with a little Lovecraftian squid creature. Walgreens also had Bandai's new Dragon Ball Z figures which is the first time I've ever seen 'em.
- I accidentally rolled over the cord of my head phones with my desk chair and now I can only hear out of one side. This sucks.
- Potato Head with Harrison Ford smirk is horrifying.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Check out this Tech Deck Dude. We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers and a new deck. I'm about to get wicked.
Posted by Anthony at 3:55 PM
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Saturday, January 5, 2008
Bully was one the funnest games I've played in years and now I'm glad to say more gamers will get a chance to play it. Rockstar will release Bully: Scholarship Edition for the Wii and X-Box 360. This re-release of the Playstation 2 game will feature several new updates including eight new missions, as well as new outfits, minigames and awards. There are also four new classes you can take; math, music, biology and geography. I bet Jimmy Hopkins will learn some fun new ways to beat people up in biology class. Hopefully the release of Bully: Scholarship Edition for the next-gen consoles will pave the way for a sequel. I'd like to follow Jimmy's exploits for years to come. That boy is going to be president one day.
Friday, January 4, 2008
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Witchblade premieres tonight on the Independent Film Channel at 8:30 and again at 10:45. Witchblade has been a curio for me seeing as how it's a Japanese animated series based on an American comic book. Granted the anime is much different than the comics' tale about modern day New York cop Sara Pezzini. Without giving away too much the Witchblade anime is kind of like Children of Men but with robots and nearly nude women who kill things. Plus the hero is a mother which is cool. A hot nearly nude mother who kills things.