Sunday, August 10, 2008

Who Markets the Watchmen?

I probably shouldn't write two posts about movie posters in a row. Ah well.

Warner Bros have revealed a series of character posters for Watchmen. The Blog@Newsarama has an article about these posters and one about the original in-house comic advertisements that inspired them. I hadn't seen those ads before but I suspected that there was something more to them. They seemed like something straight out of the comic, even if technically they aren't from the comic.

I've read people on the net take issue with the fact that the phrase "Who Watches the Watchmen?" is clearly visible on a few of these posters. In the comic the line is always partially obscured. That may be the case in the comic itself, but as you can see in the above link that wasn't the case for the ads the posters are based on.

I also want to say something about the Ozymandias poster in particular. Some see it as something of a spoiler, but I disagree. I won't point out what exactly makes the poster a spoiler but there's nothing that gives anything specific away. It's only a spoiler if you already know what happens. Still I'm predicting Watchmen will end up being one of the most spoiled movies ever. I'm glad I've already read it.

And hey look it's Bubastis!

No comments: