Wednesday, December 3, 2008

9 Most Anticipated of '09

After giving much thought I've compiled this list of the nine movies I'm most looking forward to next year. I probably should've waited until at least the end of this month to share this list but I'm impatient. It will be very interesting to look back on this list a year from now and see how things panned out.

9. Inglorious Basterds


Quentin Tarantino is writing and directing this pseudo-remake of an Italian film from the '70s. Inglorious Basterds is a World War II story about a group of former prisoners going up against a group of Nazis. The "Basterds" include Brad Pitt, Eli Roth and B.J. Novak of The Office fame. I'm actually a little skeptical that the movie will actually reach theatres next year. Of all the films on this list I believe Inglorious Basterds is the only one that hasn't completed principle photography. Plus Tarantino likes to take his time with his projects. That's fine though, as long as we get to see it eventually.

8. Astro Boy


I wasn't really sure what to think fof Imagi's CGI adaptation of the beloved anime classic. I had become blasé about it until the debut of the teaser trailer. That just looks like pure fun. I'm also pleased with the characters designs which stay true enough to Osamu Tezuka's creations albeit with "Westernized" eyes.

7. Friday the 13th


Based on what I've read this movie seems to be more of mash-up of the first two sequels than a straight remake of the original Friday the 13th. So don't expect a lot of action from Jason's crazy mom. Do expect Jason to be wearing a sack on his head à la Friday the 13th Part II before he dons the iconic hockey mask. I prefer unkillable zombie Jason of the latter films over the deformed brute Jason myself, but I'm open to all interpretations of Mr. Voorhees. I also have an ulterior reason to anticipate this remake. Paramount is using the promotional opportunity to officially release the unedited version of the original Friday the 13th on home video for the first time. Unfortunately they aren't doing this for the sequels, so far.

6. G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra


A few of the items I've read about G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra make me feel quite positive about the film, such as Larry Hama's supposed heavy involvement. Yet there's a whole lot more about G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra that sounds cringe worthy. It's still early though. We still don't know if Destro will look like anything other than Christopher Eccleston in a business suit. And we don't know anything at all about how Joseph Gordon Levitt will look as Cobra Commander. If we even see his face at all, it'll be a disappointment. (Not to disparage Mr. Levitt.)

5. The Road


I've read the novel by Cormac McCarthy about a father trying to survive with his son in a desolate post-apocalyptic wasteland. A film adaptation of The Road has the potential to be quite good. The last movie to be based on a McCarthy novel was quite well received. I do expect the filmmakers to tinker with the story. Charlize Theron has been cast as the wife of the father (Viggo Mortensen) which makes me suspect that they've expanded that character's role.

4. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen


I had felt like they were rushing into this follow-up to Transformers a little too soon. Now that some time has passed I'm starting to get hooked into the excitement for this sequel. The rumoured cast of new Autobots and Decepticons reads like a countdown of fan favourites including Arcee, Jetfire, Devastator, Prowl, Ravage and a strong possibility of The Fallen. One beloved character who's been confirmed to make an appearance is Soundwave. That's an early look at a movie Soundwave action figure in the picture above.

3. The Wolf Man


Before he'll start directing First Avenger: Captain America Joe Johnston is set to release this update of the Universal Monsters classic. Although images of Rick Baker's makeup for the title character (which looks great) have been available for awhile there's not a whole lot else to assess the film by. Based on what we do know I must say the movie's tone appears closer to Bram Stoker's Dracula than Van Helsing. That can't be bad. As with Friday the 13th I'll be anticipating new DVD releases of the original film that inspired this remake nearly as much as I'm anticipating the new movie itself.

2. Dragonball


I haven't discussed the Dragonball movie in awhile, aside from my passive aggressive MS Paint creations. I was fairly optimistic for quite awhile but the more that I've learned about this movie the more difficult it's been to remain upbeat. Let's take Piccolo as an example. I could accept him wearing a black leather outfit or not having antennae, but to give him white skin? Even I have my limits. Still I must look ahead. I'm simply too much of a Dragonball fan to not be obsessed with this live action adaptation.

1. Watchmen


What else but Watchmen? The trailers and images for Watchmen have been fantastic. Still there's a lot of ways for this movie to disappoint. The graphic novel is already near perfect in its original form. There's no way to adapt it to another medium without losing something in the process. I'm sure fans will find something to complain about. I just hope that the overwhelming majority of the film will be an amazing experience.

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

Not looking forward to Terminator Salvation? Or don't think it won't come out next year?

Anthony said...

Eh, I feel middling towards it.