Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Judging a DVD By Its Cover 8

I have mixed feelings about this artwork for Quantum of Solace. I mean it looks nice and it's a lot better than the artwork being used for the two-disc DVD and Blu-Ray releases (which I'll get to in a moment). They basically took this poster and reworked it a bit, but they removed the smokin' hot Olga Kruylenko. That's just wrong.


The other Quantum of Solace art suffers from a similar meddling with photoshop but the affects are far worse. The original poster is sleek and simple. The DVD art adds in the wall of flames which is taken from a completely different scene, the one depicted in the previous artwork. I guess they wanted to make it seem more "actiony". Plus they airbrushed the heck out of Bond's face. It doesn't look like a real person, much less like Daniel Craig.


I was really disappointed when I heard they were going to be releasing The Clone Wars in four episode volumes. Than Lucasfilm confirmed that a complete season set will eventually be released. Well that just makes this single volume pointless as well. The DVD art is pretty bland. They just took various pieces of character art and pasted them together in a typical fashion.


This... is an odd release. If you're not familiar with the concept of "motion comics" allow me to explain. They involve a camera panning over comic book artwork while voice-overs recreate the dialogue and narration. I guess it's for people who really hate reading. I've seen motion comics used for bonus material on DVDs before but not as a stand-alone release. Watchmen The Complete Motion Comics will feature the entire graphic novel, clocking at around five hours. It'll be released on DVD and Blu-Ray on March 3rd. I'd sure like to know why they felt this has to be made available in hi-def.


Both versions of Punisher War Zone are decent enough. I prefer the single disc DVD artwork self. The Blu-Ray art is just a little too basic. I'm curious about the "Widescreen & Fullscreen" banner on the DVD cover. I'm coming from the perspective that those banners act solely a way to warn against accidentally buying the fullscreen version. If this disc has both versions than why does it need the banner?


It's appropriate that No Country For Old Men will be re-released as a three-disc DVD set and a two-disc Blu-Ray set. It's a film deserving of a deluxe treatment. The new artwork is quite nice but not perfect. I could understand why they would want to mention the Academy Award for Best Picture win, but the cover would be better without it. What I can't understand is why they put "Digital Copy" in such bold lettering. Is that supposed to be an enticement for anybody?

2 comments:

Jon said...

where is my Vhs Version of No country for old men.

Anthony said...

Well VHS is still superior to Digital copies.