Friday, March 20, 2009

So Say We All

Well the series finale of Battlestar Galactica aired just a little while ago. I've spent some time letting it all sink in.

Going in there were a lot of unresolved mysteries to address and the answer to much of those is that (highlight to read) God did it. Or if you want to be completely specific God did it with angels. This was the revelation I saw coming a mile away, not because I have some great deductive skills but because it was what the series had been projecting for quite some time. If you found it surprising than I have to ask about which show you think you've been watching. Incidentally this the exact same direction that Lost has been headed for a long time now so don't come crying about it once that show ends.

If we're going to talk about problems with the series than I do have one but it has to do with an episode from weeks ago, not the finale. It's the origins of the Cylons. I knew that whatever they were going to come up with was going to feel unsatisfactory compared to the high expectations I had. And I was more or less right. It didn't help that the episode in question felt way too "expositiony". Plus I never did like Ellen Tigh. Still I'm not sure there was a more logical identity for the final Cylon.

Back to the finale. For a moment there it seemed like they were going to wrap things up with a positive message about making peace with your enemies. Then Galen Tyrol decided to frak it all up. And, as Tigh said, Galen was probably right to do so. My one small hope going in to the finale was that they wouldn't just forget that detail of Tori's past actions. Well they certainly didn't and it was epic. Ah well, things still worked out for the non-evil characters. Poor Galen. Everything bad that could happen always happened to him. He found peace though, if only a lonely sort of peace.

Loneliness seemed like a recurring theme in the second half of the episode. I have to take some issue with the survivors' decisions once they reach their new home. I'm smart enough to understand how they all reached the situation they were in, but man technology is awesome. Would you really want to give it up? A more serious quibble is their decision to spread out. Again I understand the reasoning but if I was them I'd want to cling to as many people as I could.

Speaking of which, can I say how sorry I feel for Lee? I know it's not like he had it the roughest. Everyone lost something. But man his final fate seems almost cruel. I know if anyone could move on with their life after everything that happened it's Lee. And Kara? I guess that's even sadder. Following in the steps of the great Jesus and Goku, Kara Thrace has ascended into heaven. So those were some teary-eyed moments. There were more. Anyone else feel a slight parallel between the final fates of Sam Anders and Yui Ikari?

Yet I'm fairly pleased with how it all worked out. The show came to the conclusion that it needed to with a lot of highlights along the way. The happy hybrid family was reunited. Boomer found redemption and then she found bullets in her abdomen. Baltar finally did something brave. My favorite character became president. Cavil blew his brains out. The Galactica held together for as long as it needed to. We got to see the Cylon Centurions duke it out with the older model Centurions. That last part was made of so much awesome that if the rest of the finale was just recycled footage from random episodes of Leave It to Beaver I would still be able to say that Battlestar Galactica went out on a strong note.

Those Centurions are on their own now. They're out there. Somewhere. Watching Us. Remember all of this has happened before and all of it will happen again.

3 comments:

Gabriel said...

See told you its a slight parallel to Evangelion.

I do feel sad for the fate of the Boomer/Helo/Hera family as well. See things don't always end like you imagine sometimes. Or even explain why Hera was only needed for that one moment.

Anthony said...

I think you misunderstood that last cutaway. I don't think they meant to imply Hera died at that exact spot. (Although they do need to teach that girl to not wander away.) For one thing, what could have killed her? More importantly in order for her to be the Mitochondrial Eve she would have to grow old and have descendants so that her DNA can be passed on.

Jon said...

Glad you enjoyed it