Thursday, May 21, 2009

Every Marketing Campaign Has A First Step

Let's continue our unofficial Star Wars Episode I week with a look back at the trailer which gave us our very first look at the fist new Star Wars move in sixteen years. While my views on the movie itself has muddled, this remains one of my favorite movie trailers to this day.



You can see where I got some of my false presumptions from. This trailer puts all the focus on Anakin. It even gives the illusion that Darth Maul's mission is to hunt down the boy, rather than Queen Amidala. The second trailer, which you can see here, is much more indicative of the plot, and perhaps a little less exciting.

There was news reports of people buying tickets to, if I recall correctly, Meet Joe Black and leaving right after the Episode I trailer played. I didn't do that of course. I first saw the trailer on regular television one day when it unexpectedly aired during Fox Kids' weekday afternoon lineup. Needless to say that was a fantastic surprise. I saw it again that same night during the local news.

I even recall reading a shot by shot breakdown of the trailer in the entertainment section of the newspaper. In those days I actually used to get quite a bit of geek oriented news from the paper. And we had to walk fifteen miles in the snow to buy that paper. Of course I wore an onion tied to my belt, as was the style at the time.

No comments: