Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Omnipresent Episode I


Here's what the true power of Star Wars Episode I was; it made being dragged to places you didn't want to go by your parents a little more tolerable. It didn't matter how much time your mother spent picking up outfits for your baby sister because there was a banner of Anakin in a podracing helmet hanging from the store's ceiling.

For several weeks Episode I's presence was felt everywhere you went. It was like living in 1984 except with the visage of Queen Amidala in place of Big Brother. You could experience Star Wars just by eating a bag of Lay's potato chips and drinking a can of Pepsi. I went to Knott's Berry Farm in my Darth Maul t-shirt and was almost left behind by my group after lingering too long looking at Episode I merchandise at the gift shop next to the dinosaur ride.

I suppose it really wasn't very different from any other promotional campaign except in my own head. You couldn't deny that a new Star Wars film was a big deal though. The Taco Bell chihuahua doesn't team up with Colonel Sanders every day.

1 comment:

jon said...

hooly hell that is like nostalgia in a minute fifty one, the yo queto taco bell dog that said to be a stereotype, and crappy tiger electronic toys... do tiger still makes those?