Friday, August 28, 2009

The Mark Of Jurassic Park

I'm a big Jurassic Park fan as I've mentioned before. I had a lot of Kenner's Jurassic Park action figure line as a kid. It's one of the few toylines that I had as a kid that I feel real nostalgic for. I think part of that is because there hasn't been any attempt by toy companies at new modern JP figures. However Hasbro has done a lot to keep their toys in circulation even without any outside media support. Jurassic Park toys were available at KB Toys up until they closed down. Now they're coming to Toys R Us.

This assortment consists almost entirely of repaints from the original Jurassic Park III line. I never had any of the JP III toys so these are all new to me. I've got mixed feelings about these figures. I think the Dino Battlers look far too simplistic. They have no articulation and zero sense of scale. The Dino Trackers are alright but I'd like them better if the humans didn't come packaged with a Dino Battler. I like the Battle Growlers because they're highly reminiscent of the old Kenner line, complete with "Dino Damage".

The one item that isn't originally from the JP III line is the large scale Tyrannosaurus Rex. It was first released as the "Bull" T-Rex in the toyline for the second movie. I did have a few The Lost World toys but not nearly as much as I did for the first movie. I didn't have the Bull T-Rex which had an action features that allowed it to eat humans, which is all kinds of awesome to a young dinosaur fan. There's no mention of this feature on the packaging of the new re-release. It seems likely that Hasbro dropped it, probably to save costs. That would be too bad if that's the case.

I should probably say something about the color schemes. They're petty vibrant to say the least. Nobody knows what a dinosaur really looksed like, so the idea of one look being considered less realistic than another is a bit silly. That being said the magma colored Dilophosaurus is pretty out there. I'm actually more laid back about this sort of thing than I was when I was a kid. I didn't like the Chaos Effect toyline when it came out, but now I have to say those were actually a neat idea. If there's one thing that should never be taken too seriously, it's toys.

No comments: