Wednesday, August 26, 2009

My 10 Favorite Comic Book Movies

Welcome to ta special co-collaboration between A Fistful Of Suck & Inside the Briefcase. This was born out of a conversation between two fellow bloggers about comic book based movies. We decided to create a list of our ten personal favorites and see how our choices compare to each other. So be sure to also read Inside the Briefcase.


10. Spider-Man 2 is a showcase for the trials of Peter Parker. With some rewriting one could remove all the superhero elements and still have an effective story. Still those superhero elements are nothing to scoff at either. Spidey and Doc Ock have some fantastic looking battles against each other.


9. Spider-Man is comprised of great scenes but I think my favorites are the quieter moments like when Peter talks with Mary Jane or his Aunt. Still there are a lot of great things about this move. William Dafoe kills as Norman Osborn, even in the odd Green Goblin outfit they give him to wear. J.K. Simmons steals the show as J. Jonah Jameson.


8. I didn't really like Superman Returns all that much the first time I saw it. Superman gets reinterpreted for every generation and Superman Returns followed the original film series, instead of being based on anything from my own years of Superman fandom. However I rewatched it few times and it actually grew on me. I'd call it a case of flawed posit that ended up being very well executed.


7. Iron Man looked insanely promising from the very first teases we got of it. In fact if it has a failing it's that it held very little surprises for me the first time I saw it. That's because I went in with high expectations and Iron Man completely met them. The cast and the story were spot on. Plus the armor design based on the artwork of Adi Granov was a thing of geek beauty.


6. Spider-Man 3 is easily my favorite of the Spider-Man movies. It has the best action scenes, the best villains, and to me the most interesting dynamic between Peter and Mary Jane. It also has the most apparent problems of any movie in the series, mainly that there are too many plot threads to give the right amount of attention during the movie's running time. Yet I can overlook that and enjoy it for what it is. The highest compliment I can give is that when Venom first appears, his voice sounded exactly as I always imagined it in my head.


5. X-Men kicked off the explosion of comic book adaptations at the beginning this decade. I ha no idea what to expect going into the movie but I tried to brace myself for the worst. So it was a pleasant surprise that it turned out pretty good. X-Men treated the characters with respect which was nice to see in a post Batman & Robin world. The movie was great and it gave the world Hugh Jackman in the role he was born to play, well except for the fact that he's too tall.


4. As entertaining as X-Men is, it’s outdone by its own sequel X2, which was awkwardly rechristened X2: X-Men United for the marketing campaign. X2 has so many great moments from the thrilling opening scene of Nightcrawler fighting off Secret Service agents in the White House all the way to the very last shot of the movie teasing the coming of the Phoenix.


3. I just rewatched The Dark Knight in its entirety a few days ago so unlike the rest of the films on this list it's really fresh in my mind. So much so that I was tempted to rank the movie higher on the list. It's easy to praise The Dark Knight too much. It's not perfect but when you consider everything the film has going for it including the intricate plotting and Heath Ledger's Oscar winning performance it does comes alarmingly close.


2. Before the V For Vendetta movie I knew next to nothing about the Alan Moore penned graphic novel upon which it's based. Yet I was greatly interested in the movie from the time I first saw the trailer, then I caught it in theatres and later bought the DVD. I guess I am capable of liking things that I haven't been into since I was a kid. I think V is a great character. I'd classify him as a superhero, even if he's also a terrorist.


1. Batman was the first major film I remember being really excited for. (Except maybe for the live action Masters of the Universe but I have no memories of its theatrical run.) I'm a fan of Tim Burton's output in general and I think Batman remains one of his better efforts. Yes there are a couple of awful twists in the last act of the movie but I can forgive them. Batman is my favorite comic book movie and is amongst my favorite movies of all time.

3 comments:

Gabriel said...

Great list, very similar to mine in some ways. I noticed you may have taken screen shots from the DVD which may have taken time, lots of time for. Now thats dedication. Yes, I may have praised The Dark Knight too much, but I stand by it.

Anthony said...

It was only work in that retrieving DVDs from the abyss that is my collection is never too easy.

The Mandie Char Chars said...

Where would watchmen and Hellboy rank?