Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Turtlelodeon

This is becoming the year of corporations buying my favorite characters from my childhood. Viacom, via their children's network Nickelodeon, has bought the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

When I read the news I initially thought Nickelodeon had acquired the TV and movie rights, which would have been good news. I don't think 4Kids has done right by the property lately. That's not the case though. Peter Laird has sold the property outright to Viacom and no longer has any control of it. I respect why Mr. Laird would do this. If someone offered me enough money so I'd never have to work again in exchange for my intellectual property I'd probably say yes too. But I'm a little disappointed for myself and other fans.

When Disney bought the Power Rangers years ago it ensured the Rangers' survival until now. Fox no longer broadcasts children's television so if they had retained control it's extremely likely the Rangers would have ended. That's not the case for the Turtles. They were doing okay until now though they've hit some rough patches. There was a live action movie in development. Now Paramount is in control of the movie. There's also the Turtles Forever special, the current status of which I have no clue. It was produced by 4Kids but will Nickelodeon release it?

Nickelodeon is working on a new CGI Turtles cartoon. I hope the tone of the show is closer to Avatar The Last Airbender than Back at the Barnyard. That's my main concern right now. With Nickelodeon in control I hope the Turtles have a chance to be given a respectful treatment.

No comments: