Monday, December 7, 2009

Earth One

Announced today at the DC Blog The Source is a pair of graphic novels called Superman: Earth One and Batman: Earth One. These are stand alone tales not tied to any earlier continuity. It sounds a lot like their "All Star" title but hopefully it will have better results.

I think this could potentially be a great idea. First off I love that they're being published as original graphic novels, eschewing the long outdated pamphlet format. Plus I think there is a market out there for some good classical superhero stories without the decades of baggage. I know I fall into that category. I just hope they focus on the storytelling and don't eventually collapse under their own messy continuity like Marvel's Ultimate line.


Of the two, the Batman one seems the more appealing to me. I like the costume design. It's just different enough to be unique but is still the familiar Batman.

1 comment:

The Mandie Char Chars said...

Earth One is way too complicated and won't super boy just punch that too.

It's should have been called Batman:You like batman but you're not sure what to buy, here buy this, this is a straight batman story.