Sunday, November 29, 2009
InToyz planned to release a pair of figures based on video game Twisted Metal Black. The line was to include a very hefty looking Sweet Tooth and the motorcycle riding Grimm, because he's the second most visually interesting character from the game. It seems odd to just produce toys of the characters and not of the vehicles they use. Twisted Metal is about a deadly demolition derby and most people remember the souped-up cars and not the riders. InToyz's figures were never released so we'll never know if they would have been successful. DC Direct has recently announced their own new Sweet Tooth figure. We'll see how that one fares especially now that it's been some time since there's been a new Twisted Metal.
Friday, November 27, 2009
I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving and a very merry Black Friday. I gave thanks for awesome hauls, including this month's. I've been on the prowl for the new Mighty Morphin Power Rangers toys and found a Red Ranger.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Diamond Select has images of their upcoming Iron Man 2 War Machine action figure. The figure features Don Cheadle's likeness, which might be the final insult to Terrence Howard; he doesn't get a toy. Unfortunately Diamond Select blacked out the full body shot. It seems a little pointless. It's not as if we won't know what War Machine will look like before the movie comes out. Granted I could write a long blog entry about movies that have been spoiled by their action figure lines. That may not be a bad idea either.
Friday, November 20, 2009
- Tomorrow morning at 10 AM is the premiere of the long awaited Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 90 minute special Turtles Forever on the CW4Kids. It's been advertised as being a one time only showing but that might only be referring to the full length version. On my program guide there's a 30 minute version scheduled to air on November 28th.
- John Hodgman, Brendan Small, Seth Green and Patton Oswalt will all be guest starring on Sunday night's episode of The Venture Bros. on [adult swim]. That's a star studded lineup of geek favorites but I don't know if their combined might can top Kevin Conroy's appearance earlier in the season. Still though, do you even need extra incentive to watch The Venture Bros.?
- Sunday night is also the season finale of Curb Your Enthusiasm on HBO. The finale will feature the fictional Seinfeld reunion special which acts as something of a genuine Seinfeld reunion special. Last week's episode had the table read for the reunion's script and it was the best episode of the season.
Friday, November 6, 2009
- Bandai's new Mighty Morphin Power Rangers toyline is starting to show up in stores. No Pink Spandex has an extensive gallery of the first wave of basic figures. The new figures are four inches making them smaller than past Ranger lines. I expected that would be the case. Scale aside, I really like the sculpting and proportions of the figures in contrast to the '93-'95 MMPR figures. Also there's an Alpha 5 figure with a miniature Zordon. Did not see that coming.
- The fate of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 25th anniversary special Turtles Forever has been something of a mystery since even before the announcement that Nickelodeon acquired the Ninja Turtles. Well we now know that will have a one time only showing on CW4Kids on November 21st. The "one time only" part is intriguing. I'd be okay if this means it will be the only time the special will air on the CW4Kids. What happens to the rights to the Mirage and 4Kids produced TMNT series anyways? Will Nickelodeon own it now? Will Turtles Forever get a DVD release?
- Screencaps of Halo Reach, Bungie's last hurrah with the Halo franchise, have been leaked online via a thread at the MLG forums. The graphics look incredible. And is that a hybrid Needler Carbine rifle I see in one shot?
- Game Informer has an interview with Warren Spector, producer of the upcoming Epic Mickey for the Wii. What I appreciate is how he points out that they're not trying to make Mickey dark or edgy so much as they're trying to make Mickey more like the mischievous adventurer he was when he first became popular. The game will also feature Oswald the Lucky Rabbit as antagonist. That's fantastic.
- Four day passes with or without Preview Night for the San Deigo Comic-Con are now sold out. Just to put things into perspective the con isn't until July of next year and it is now early November. Single day passes will go on sale soon. Who knows how long they will last.