Friday, April 16, 2010

Aniplex Releases the Gunmen

Japanese anime distributor Aniplex is stepping their toes into the North American market. They will be releasing both Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann movies on DVD this July. The first movies is titled Childhood's End and comes out July 1st. The sequel, The Lights in the Sky Are Stars, comes out on July 30th. Both movies will be available as single disc and two-disc limited editions. The limited editions include a 32 page program book, postcards, and a bonus DVD featuring four of the eight music videos from Gurren Lagann Parallel Works each. Parallel Works is a series of original animation music videos inspired by Gurren Lagann. The DVDs will only be available on Bandai Entertainment's online store .

I'm admittedly torn about these. They are fairly pricey. I wish they would at least be made available on Rightstuf.com . I also really want the limited editions. I think I'm more interested in Parallel Works than the movies proper. I have no idea just how limited these sets will be and I don't know how much time I have to wait before I should order these. Or perhaps I should wait to see if they're released on Blu-ray. That might not be a concern being that they're not available on Blu-ray in Japan.

This is also interesting as yet another example of a Japanese company trying establish themselves in the North American market and cutting out the middle man. Granted they're not being cut out completely. You can only get the discs through Bandai. I wonder how much satisfying for fans it would have been if Bandai Entertainment had licensed these movies and released them themselves. Let's see how successful Aniplex becomes. Judging by the attempts of Kadokawa, Toei, and Bandai Visual to distribute titles directly to North America, I imagine Aniplex has their work cut out for them.

Man, this is shaping up to be a potentially expensive year. The Gurren Lagann movies were announced today and the Haruhi movie was announced yesterday. Let's hope foe my wallet's sake things start quieting down soon.

No comments: