Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Spidey's Eighth Animated Series

Spider-Man is getting an animated reboot in addition to his live action one. Marvel has announced their newest animated series Ultimate Spider-Man, based on the comic book of the same name. It's set to premiere on Disney XD in Fall 2011.

This announcement is pretty much the death knell for The Spectacular Spider-Man. Not that I seriously thought the series stood a chance to be renewed, but I still consider this to be bad news. I'll be looking forward to Ultimate Spider-Man but I'm not expecting it to surpass its predecessor in quality.

Ultimate Spider-Man will have one clear advantage that Spectacular lacked, it can have crossovers with other Marvel characters since it's being produced directly by them. It seems like that's exactly what will happen. If they can turn the series into Marvel's answer to Batman: The Brave and the Bold I think they could have a winner on their hands.

In other Marvel news, Hayley Atwell has been cast in the Captain America movie. She'll be playing Peggy Carter, the woman Steve Rogers falls in love with in the 1940's. Now I'm wondering if her niece/sister Sharon will also be in the movie.

And Joss Whedon is rumored to be the director of The Avengers. I'm not quite sure how to feel about that right now, so I'll wait to see if this pans out before I add my two cents.

1 comment:

Gabriel said...

Wow, they are really milking out Spider-man until there's nothing left. And I really don't know how to feel yet about Joss Whedon being the director of The Avengers movie as well. Even saying that, it is quite a surprise. From Wonder Woman to The Avengers...