Wednesday, June 2, 2010

ThunderCats are Loose

Today Warner Bros. Animation annouced a new ThunderCats series will premiere on Cartoon Network in 2011. The animation will be produced by Japanese anime studio Studio4°C. So far only the logo and concept art for Lion-O have been revealed. You can read the news here. There's also a story synopsis that mentions "Stones of Power". I think that's a new aspect created for the new series.

I've been waiting for this announcement forever. A new ThunderCats series has been in some form of development for years. I recall one version had the ThunderCats reimagined as teenagers. And members of a rock band. Living on Earth. With Snarf was their manager. So as promising as this new series currently sounds, I'm still a little apprehensive. If they were even considering that teenage rock band version, than I can't put too much faith in the studio.

Between now through 2011 we'll be seeing new series debuts for Transformers, G.I. Joe, Voltron, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers. Retro is alive and kicking. Unlike the rest of those properties however, ThunderCats is unique in that the original series hasn't already been rebooted at some point. It's been a relic of the '80s until now. I just hope the characters' jazzy aerobic leotards survive the transition.

Updated 06/03/10: Now another, arguably more crucial, piece of info has been revealed. Bandai has the toy license for the new ThunderCats series. This comes as no surprise as Bandai has been the rumored license holder for several months now. What is a surprise is that Bandai claims they'll be producing items based on the classic ThunderCats as well. This is shaping up to be really exciting.

1 comment:

Gabriel said...

I heard they were doing this earlier, but I guess its lifting off now since of the murder/death of the older series' writer. Not sure about the whole story on that yet since its a little confusing to me: http://bit.ly/atcKhQ