Thursday, July 22, 2010

Comic Con 2010 -Thursday

The San Diego Comic-Con has begun and it's impossible to keep up with everything. Here's a small sampling of what's going on.
  • Joss Whedon has confirmed that he's directing The Avengers at a panel where he appeared with J.J. Abrams. When this was first rumored I had a hard time believing it. It sounded like the wishful thinking of fanboys. I wouldn't have expected it to actually happen. I'm a fan of Whedon's work when he was working with his own creations. Let's see how he does with pre-established characters. He was supposed to have directed a high profile superhero movie once before and that didn't pan out. At the very least I'm sure he'll actually make the movie this time.

  • Disney debuted the final trailer for Tron Legacy and it hit the web soon afterwards. I have to say the CG young Jeff Bridges is the best example of a "CG younger version of an actor" I've seen yet.

  • Here's something that came out of let field, Disney is rebooting The Haunted Mansion. If you don't remember (and I I envy you if that's the case) Disney released The Haunted Mansion as a family comedy starring Eddie Murphy in the same year they released Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. It was a fascinating to see how one company could use two different approaches to making movies based on a beloved theme park rides. Disney realizing the opportunity (and money) they wasted is taking another crack at it and this time they're not messing around. Guillermo del Toro is set to write and produce the movie. He made a live appearance at Disney's Comic-Con appearance. I won't expect him to direct it though. He's attached to like a dozen different movies right now.

  • On display at the Con is the corpse of Abin Sur from Green Lantern. I guess it's a spoiler in the same way that Krypton exploding is a spoiler. The late Green Lantern will be played by Temura Morrison in the movie. I meant to write about this earlier, but I got a close look at the Entertainment Weekly with Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan. Jordan's outfit appears to be organic. The edge of the collar just merges with his neck. The magazine also has pictures of Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond, which looked pretty kooky, but I guess that's to be expected with Hector Hammond.

  • I'm generally not a statue and bust fan, but I'm bowled over by Gentle Giant's Star Wars display at the Con. I love their jumbo sized replicas of vintage Kenner action figures, though I'm not in love with their price. I'm also digging the zombie Stormtrooper, The Clone Wars maquettes, and an amazing looking Ilum Padme mini-bust. What really surprised me were the mini-busts of Kevin Pereira as Clone armored Obi-Wan and Olivia Munn as Slave Leia. It seems they're prizes for a raffle being held at Celebration V.

1 comment:

Angelica said...

was directed here by Gabriel. great overview!