Friday, August 20, 2010

Playing Catch Up

So I'm finally back after a long hiatus. I've been without the internet for the last few weeks but that's been settled. Here's some recent and not so recent going-ons.
  • This is already old news but I have to acknowledge that at Celebration V this past weekend, Lucasfilm has announced the Star Wars movies are coming to Blu-ray next year. There will be a boxset of all six films, new and vintage behind the scene features, previously unreleased deleted scenes. One thing you won't find on the set are the original theatrical cuts of the classic trilogy, and the same probably goes for the prequel trilogy. Will this be the set that finally gets me to buy my favorite film series? Reply hazy. Ask again later.

  • A less earth shattering news item but also unignorable is Funimation licensing Evangelion 2.0 You Can [Not] Advance. Funimation made this announcement way back on July 30th at Otakaon. Despite the title Funi actually has the 2.22 cut which is apparently the only version that was released on home video in Japan. I have no clue what title the movie will use when Funi releases it on DVD and Blu-ray next year.

  • New episodes of Bleach resume on [adult swim] on August 28th. The last new episode to air in the U.S. was in November. We're over two years behind the Japanese broadcast now. Yeah that sucks.

  • Turtles Forever is being released on DVD next Tuesday. This is Paramount's first Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutles related release since they bought the rights to the series. Unfortunately the reviews are not kind. The DVD contains the 72 minute broadcast cut instead of the full 81 minute version. And for some reason the feature is in letterboxed non-anamorphic widescreen. It's clear the folks at Paramount just didn't care enough to put out even an adequate release. I hope it's not a sign of things to come.

  • So what did I do with my free time without the internet? Read a little, at least more than I usually do. Watched some TV. Watched some DVDs. The live action Masters of the Universe movie holds up pretty well. It's still probably the best live action movie based on toys. If anything I like it better than I used to when I was younger. I enjoyed it up until the end when out of nowhere we learn the Cosmic Key is capable of time travel just so that Courtney Cox's character can have a happy ending. The problem is the time travel puts much of what already happened in the movie into question. Are we dealing with a Dragonball Z-type situation in which alternate realities are being created when the past is changed? Yes I'm incredibly nerdy.

1 comment:

The Mandie Char Chars said...

Where is my TV tropes page titled "Time Travel Copout?"