Friday, September 17, 2010

Clones, Pokemon & the Goosebumps Movie

  • Tonight was the season premiere of Star Wars: The Clone Wars on Cartoon Network. There were two new episodes. "Clone Cadets" was the first and is a prequel to the fan favorite episode "Rookies". The second, "ARC Troopers" is a follow-up. The Clone Wars is continuing the grand Star Wars tradition of telling stories out of order. The ARC Troopers we see in these new episodes have the Episode III style armor. I can understand that for "ARC Troopers" but that means "Clone Cadets" takes place before "The Zilo Beast Strikes Back". Is there a guide to the continuity of the series' episodes? I'm sure there's some fan who's already done the legwork.

  • The series premiere of Sym-Bionic Titan was also tonight on Cartoon Network. I've been looking forward to this series to debut since I've learned of its existence, but I had no idea it was airing tonight until six minutes after it started. I still watched it and the re-broadcast on the west coast feed. Sym-Bionic Titan is the newest cartoon by Genndy Tartakovsky, creator of Dexter's Laboratory and Samurai Jack. It's his interesting take on the giant mecha genre. I'm already waiting for some company to make toys.

  • Manga Entertainment has solicited Blu-ray releases of the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex movies. The Laughing Man and The Individual Eleven are compilation films of the first and second TV seasons respectively. Solid State Society is an original tale that continues the story. All three Blu-rays will be released on December 7th.

  • A McDonalds in Odaiba, Japan has been redecorated to celebrate the release of the latest generation of Pokemon video games, Black and White. You can see pictures here. When the games get released in the U.S. I doubt the level of promotion will be that extensive.

  • The Goosebumps movie has found a screenwriter. I didn't even know a Goosebumps movie was in development. I hope it's an anthology film à la The Twilight Zone Movie. And I hope one of the segments is based on "Monster Blood II". Cinema deserves a giant rampaging hamster.

No comments: