Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Bat, The Cat & The Luchador

Big news has been announced concerning The Dark Knight Rises. Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selena Kyle, more commonly known as Catwoman. And it's been revealed the role Tom Hardy will be playing in the movie is Bane.

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman works for me. She was the best choice of the list of actresses that were bandied about as potential candidates. Tom Hardy as Bane should be interesting but I do have one issue. He's a good actor and all but I don't understand why they couldn't have cast a Latino in the role.

Now assuming Selena actually does put on the Catwoman costume, then I'm personally thrilled about these announcements. If I had to pick two villains for a Batman movie I'd pick uh, Killer Moth and Firefly. But if I had to pick two reasonable choices than I'd pick Catwoman and Bane. Bane in particular works I think because he is a strategist with a personal obsession with Batman while additionally posing as a physical threat.

I wasn't as happy with some of the rumors we'd been hearing. I mean Hugo Strange isn't a terribly exciting choice for the major villain of a Batman movie. Why that's almost like making Hector Hammond the major villain of the Green Lantern movie. Talia al Ghul might have worked if Liam Neeson came back as Ra's al Ghul. I was even okay with Riddler being debunked early on. I've got nothing against Riddler but everyone was counting on him to be in it that it was more interesting to learn that he wouldn't be.

Both Bane and Catwoman have suffered greatly at the hands of Hollywood before. Bane was reduced to mindless lackey in Batman & Robin. And then there's Halle Berry's Catwoman which I had successfully blocked out of my memory until now. It's time they corrected some past wrongs.

No comments: