Friday, March 4, 2011

Smarch

  • The 3D version of Star Wars Episode I will be released to theaters on February 10th, 2012. I wasn't expecting it to come out in less than a year, but I thought about it and it makes sense. It's probably wise to release it in the typically slow month of February. Just the fact that it's a re-release of a thirteen year old movie sort of limits it's box office potential. That it's also the least popular Star Wars movie won't help either. I might check it out. I don't think I've watched in full since 2000.

  • And on a related note the packaging design for next year's Star Wars products has been revealed. It's clearly Episode I focused, featuring a grimacing Darth Maul. However the blue logo on white background is more reminiscent of The Clone Wars packaging. It'll be odd to see an image of Darth Maul used for The Clone Wars line. Then again it could be a perfect fit if what the end of "Witches of the Mist" implies actually pans out.

  • Here's the trailer for the upcoming Tron Uprising animated series. The series is set between the events of the two Tron movies. It debuts next year on Disney XD.

  • And here's another animated trailer. This one is for the new Thundercats series. Looks like a lot of action taking place on Thundera. Will they even go to Third Earth in the new series? Or am I being duped by clever editing? The new Wily Kit, Wily Kat and Snarf are much cuter.

  • We got a pretty good, if brief, look at the Red Skull in the Super Bowl ad for Captain America: The First Avenger. But Entertainment Weekly has the first official picture of Hugo Weaving as Red Skull. He looks pretty much perfect. I think Weaving in this role could end up being the highlight of the movie.

  • The second G.I. Joe movie will arrive on August 10th 2012, from the writers of Zombieland (Sweet) and the director of Never Say Never (Yikes). Although no officially confirmed, Rachel Nichols says the only ones returning will be Duke, Snake Eyes, and Storm Shadow. I don't know if that actually refers to the characters or the actors who played them: Channing Tatum, Ray Park and Byung-hun Lee respectively. I don't see the point in making the movie without the main villains. Both Cobra Commander and Destro could easily be recast, though I'll miss Joseph Gordon Levitt as the former. I'm not attached to any of the other actors, yet I do admire that Nichols is eager to reprise her role as Scarlett. I hope she gets her chance.

No comments: