Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Uncanny Anime

Marvel and anime studio Madhouse have been producing series based on Marvel's characters. Iron Man has already aired in Japan and Wolverine is in the middle of its broadcast. The next series will be X-Men and Blade. Eventually they'll be airing on G4 in the U.S. which doesn't do me any good since my provider dropped G4.


The promotional campaign has already started for X-Men which premieres April 1st in Japan. It looks like the team will consist of Professor X, Cyclops, Beast, Storm, Wolverine and most interestingly Armor. That's a pretty clever of them to use her. They can try to appeal more to the Japanese viewers while still staying true to the comics, and put a character in the spotlight who hasn't been done to death. They easily could have used Sunfire instead and it would work just as well, but anime runs on bishoujo.

I'm excited for this one, moreso than the other Marvel anime. I like the X-Men. I liked Wolverine first, since before I could remember. There's something intrinsic about the character that appeals to kids. But when I learned there were a group of heroes that Wolverine pals around with, I latched on to them as well. I read the comics but they passed the point of accessibility before I discovered them, probably before I could even read. But the X-Men seem to work as a television format. I ended up liking X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men and my memories of the Fox Kids toon are better than the other Marvel '90s cartoons. I hope this new series follows suit.

No comments: