Thursday, October 13, 2011

Hostess Snoballimus

Hostess is currently running a tie-in with Transformers: Dark of the Moon. The promotion includes Chocwave, Hostess Cupcakes themed after Shockwave, and Snoballimus, Sno Balls themed after Optimus Prime. It's the latter that I was intent on finding. Sno Balls are the best thing made by Hostess, well after Chocodiles but those are rare. Snoballimus wasn't easy to find either. I looked everywhere. I kept seeing Twinkies and Cupcakes, which despite having Transformers pictured on the box are just the standard snacks. I finally found Chocwave and Snoballimus at a Target.

So what is Snoballimus exactly? It's pretty much a Sno Ball with some wacky food coloring. Sno Balls are chocolate cake filled with creme and coated in marshmallow. The marshmallow is covered in coconut flakes. I know coconut scares off a lot of people and I am among them. I couldn't eat a Mounds bar if my life depended on it, but the coconut on a Sno Ball tastes fine. It's a flaky shield protecting you from getting marshmallow on your hands.

Here's where the wacky food coloring comes in. The coconut is blue and the creme is red, evoking (with a little imagination) Optimus Prime's color scheme. It tastes the same as a regular Sno Ball. That's all there really is to it. I really didn't need an excuse to buy Sno Balls but having Optimus Prime on the box sure didn't hurt.

No comments: