Monday, November 14, 2011

Who You Gonna Claw?

That Peter Venkman plush in yesterday's post was something I won in a claw machine of all things. Claw machines are like slot machines, in that you have to accept that you're about to throw money away if you're going to play them and enjoy it. And maybe there's an infinitesimal chance that you'll get ridiculously lucky and win some money or better, a stuffed doll.

I came across some Ghostbusters plush in a claw machine at a Toys R Us. I noticed that Peter seemed close enough to the opening hatch to be winnable. It was in my second attempt, that I not only won Peter but on it's way to the hatch, it knocked over a Cat-popping-out-of-a-Jack-O-Lantern plush. So I won two prizes at once. That was insane. (I gave the Cat-popping-out-of-a-Jack-O-Lantern to my sister.) I tried a third time to win a Slimer and lost. That's why you walk away when you're ahead.

Later I sae a claw machine at my local supermarket that was just filled with Ghostbusters plush including Egon, Winston and most enticingly the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. I think this is how gambling problems get started.

No comments: