Friday, February 17, 2012

Toy Fair 2012 Part Two

Here's some more Toy Fair thoughts. For Toy Fair coverage visit Cool Toy Review and Action Figure Insider.


You've probably heard by now that DC will be publishing a series of prequels to Watchmen. Toy Fair brought another interesting wrinkle to an already big story with the reveal of statues by DC Direct based on Before Watchmen. DC Direct tried once before to produce Watchmen figures but those were canceled to appease Alan Moore. Are the prequels seen as a backdoor method to merchandise the characters? And what's the difference really between making figures based on the original graphic novel, the new prequels or even the movie which did get action figures? I don't know but I'd still buy comic based Watchmen action figures and I don't care what DC Direct calls it if and when it happens.


I like Mezco. I like Domo. And I like that Mezco is making Domo action figures. Still there's so much Domo stuff out there already that I'm not sure how Mezco's figures will stand out. I guess lucahdor Domo is a pretty good start.


Mezco also has the Universal Monsters license which is a dream pairing for me. Unfortunately it's happened when another company is already putting out realistically styled Universal Monsters figures. I still think Mezco's stylized take on the Mummy, Frankenstein's Monster and the Creature from the Black Lagoon are pretty cool looking.


Here's an example of Mezco's skills. Check out Dracula as a Living Dead Doll. Obviously it doesn't look like Bela Lugosi nor is it supposed to. Yet they managed to perfectly nail essence of Dracula's character, in doll form no less. It's much better looking than Diamond Select's non-Lugosi-based Dracula action figure.


I don't want to rag on Diamond Select though, because I really do like their Universal Monster figures. Now that they've done the more well-known monsters, they're focusing on both the lesser known and the damn obscure. They'll be releasing the Metaluna Mutant from This Island Earth, Erik from the 1925 The Phantom of the Opera complete with an organ and violin, Quasimodo from the 1923 Hunchback of Notre Dame and of the title creatures from The Mole Men.


But the show stealer was this pair of figures based on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde from Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I was stunned to see these. I don't think even Sideshow Collectibles has ever done anything based on this film. The sculpt of Boris Karloff is excellent. Diamond Select does great work when they have access to use the actor's likeness.


And speaking of Diamond Select and actor's likenesses, I see some Mark Ruffalo in their Hulk action figure for The Avengers. Notice the figure next to the Hulk in the blackened box? That's the mystery villain from The Avengers. Can you make out what it is?

No comments: