Thursday, May 17, 2012

Ten Years Ago Yesterday


Yesterday, May 16th, was the tenth anniversary of the day Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones was released in theaters. And I did not know this until I read a news item on Rebelscum. I suppose all that reflects on how I feel about Episode II. It is my least favorite film in the series, which isn't to say I dislike it. The sequence on Geonosis is the best all out battle in the movies. It ushers in the Clone Wars, my favorite Star Wars era. But my feelings towards the movie may has less to do with its actual merits than the atmosphere that surrounded its release.

Back when Star Wars Episode I had its tenth anniversary I waxed nostalgic for a week. You couldn't avoid the Episode I hype. Attack of the Clones was never as big of a deal. A big part of it was just the lowered expectations, not just of the fans but of the retailers and marketers. There were far less promotions and less tie-ins. There wasn't even a proper Attack of the Clones action figure line. Instead we got Star Wars Saga which, even for a ten year old toyline, has aged terribly. They managed to turn everything around for Revenge of the Sith which felt like an event again. I guess it also helped that it didn't have to open right after the first Spider-Man movie. Hey there's another movie that just turned ten years old.

Attack of the Clones will have another chance at the spotlight. It is being re-released to theaters in 3D in time for its Eleventh Anniversary, assuming that's still the plan.

No comments: