Saturday, June 30, 2012
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
- Apparently Hasbro still had one more exclusive to reveal and it's truly truly outrageous. It's Hollywood Jem from Jem and the Holograms. A revival of Jem is long overdue and it looks like it's kicking off at this year's Comic-Con. The price is also truly outrageous at $125. I guess that means the quality of this doll is closer to Tonner than Barbie.
- Mezco Toys' exclusives feature the usual assembly of Living Dead Dolls and Mez-Its, one of which is a 20" Batman Mez-Itz. There's also an Earthworm Jim figure with a metallic finish and a smiling headsculpt, which I prefer over the angry headsculpt of the regular release. Mezco also has a Thundercats glow-in-the-dark 14" Mumm-Ra. He comes with a figure of Mumm-Ra in his mummy form. Now that is an awesome package.
- Continuing the Thundercats news, the Thundercats Facebook page has been revealing new exclusives this week, including a ThunderTank statue from Icon Heroes and the first look at Thundercats Minimates. Minimate Jaga and Mumm-Ra in his mummy form, his second exclusive this year, will be sold at the Action Figure XPress booth.
- Underground Toys announced on their Doctor Who exclusive on their Twitter page. They'll be selling a two-pack of Winston Churchill and a tea serving Ironside Dalek from the Series 5 episode "Victory of the Daleks". Sadly there's no images yet of Churchill's action figure. (There's a phrase I never thought I'd type.)
- Once again Toys R Us will be selling some of their exclusives at Comic-Con as reported by USA Today. From Jazwares, TRU will have an Adventure Time Finn & Fiona mini-figure 2-pack and Mordecai the very first toy from Regular Show. Finn and Fiona are wearing Con badges and Mordecai is wearing a Con t-shirt. From Playmates, Toys R Us will have 10" figures of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from the new Nickelodeon series. I'm sure there are even more TRU exclusives yet to be announced. Based on previous years I think it's a good bet that one of them will be the new Masterpiece Optimus Prime with trailer.
- I also seem to recall Toys R Us selling McFarlane Halo exclusives in the past. That might explain this Halo 4 Master Chief figure that has yet to be officially announced.
- Shifting gears a bit from Con exclusives to retail exclusives, Sandtroopers has a first look at the new Star Wars Vintage Collection three packs coming to Target. They have a photo of the cardback with pictures of the whole assortment including a brand new Takeel a.k.a. Snaggletooth (the short red one). I think this is the first time they put an all new figure into one of these sets. He comes in the Villain set with Boba Fett and a Tusken Raider. I'm not sure Snaggletooth is a villain, but that's not half as weird as the "Android" set with Chewie, Threepio and Artoo.
Sunday, June 24, 2012
- Hasbro has revealed their 2012 San Diego Comic-Con exclusives, some of which we knew about like the Star Wars Carbonite Chamber set. I think the teaction to it has been underwhelming but it's a huge improvement over last year's Death Star set of nothing but repacked figures. Hasbro will have a S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier that is a foot longer than the one that will be available at retail later this year. It also comes with an exclusive Maria Hill figure. If I were getting the Helicarrier than this would definitely be the version I'd want. Similarly, the Comic-Con exclusive Transformers Fall of Cybertron Combaticons is based on the actual game and I don't know what the retail versions will be based on. I'm not buying Bruticus but if I were I'd go for the Con exclusive or the rumored G2 redeco. I had a G2 Blast Off as a kid. I love bright purple camouflage.
- Shout Factory will have an exclsuive Power Rangers set for sale at Comic-Con, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Complete Series. This set is also available in the bundle being sold by Time Life. The Time Life collection includes the first seven seasons of Power Rangers, from Mighty Morphin to Lost Galaxy and an action figure of the Mighty Morphin Red Ranger wearing the Dragon shield. Shout Factory's Comic-Con exclsuive contains only the three seasons of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
- Speaking of Power Rangers, the next incarnation of the series will be Power Rangers Megaforce an adaptation of Tensou Sentai Goseiger. I've never seen Goseiger but nothing about it has ever grabbed me and there didn't seem to be much positive buzz for the series. I'm still holding out for some cool news concerning Power Rangers' 20th Anniversary ceelebration next year.
- The original Blade and Blade Trinity were released on Blu-ray disc in the U.S. on June 19th. Blade II on the other hand isn't coming out until July 10th. I thought it was odd that one movie in the trilogy was being held back for a month. Now comes word that there will be Blade II will have an exclsuive edition at Comic-Con. Gentle Giant will be selling Blade II on Blu-ray packaged with a mini-bust of the Reaper. I mean it's still odd that there will be a Comic-Con exclsive for a ten year old movie, but at least this is odd in a good way.
- Amazon has updated the image for the 30th Anniversary Blade Runner Blu-ray. It looks a lot more interesting than the previous image. The new picture also reveals a "Spinner" replica that comes packaged inside. Could it be the same one that came in the 2007 briefcase set? The Spinner pack-in somewhat explains the $65 price tage for the 30th Anniversary set.
- It looks like K-Mart will have an exclusive Amazing Spider-Man three-pack. I'm not too interested in the Spidey or Green Goblin figure but I like the redeco of Stretch Strike Venom as Anti-Venom. It's not quite accurate but I like it a whole lot more than Stretch Strike Venom's original deco.
Friday, June 8, 2012
Go see Prometheus now. (Just don't take the kids.) I just came back and was pleasantly surprised to see NECA already has a first look at their upcoming action figure line. They've a revealed a couple of figures of the Engineer with a promise of more to see at Comic-Con. I could think of a couple of other interesting things from the film I'd like to see in toy form.